Three Minute video explaining the common core standards
video explaining the smarter balanced test
SBAC is the new assessment California is using to test student knowledge.
- This year, students in CA in grades 3-8 and 11 will take the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments (S-BAC) in mathematics and English Language Arts. These assessments will be taken online, using a computer.
- Students in grades 5, 8, & 10 will take the California Standards Test (CST) in Science. Some Special Education students may take the California Modified Assessment (CMA) or California Alternative Performance Assessment (CAPA). These assessments are paper-based.
- None of these assessments are timed and students will be able to take as much time as needed to complete them.
- Students will receive results for each assessment they have taken. These scores will be provided to parents as well as schools and the district. We anticipate receiving results in the summer from the California Department of Education (CDE).
- Testing will occur this spring within the CDE determined testing window over a series of days selected by the school. Students can anticipate 3-4 test sessions across 3-4 days for each subject area. At grade levels where 3 subjects are bing tested, these will be an additional testing session or two.Testing sessions occur during part of the regular school day.
Smarter Balanced practice test
Here is a link to the Smarter Balanced "Common Core" Practice Test. This practice test will allow students to become more familiar with the end of the year state test which is now a computer based test. Students will take this practice test during class, but feel free to take a look and have your child take it again if you wish. Scroll half way down the page and click Practice Test. On the next page scroll half way down and click Student Interface. Then click sign in (as Guest log-in info is already pre-filled).